Certification of Pharmaceutical Companies and other CME Meetings
Accredited Continuing Medical Education (CME) is an essential component of continuing physician professional development. Accreditation is of utmost importance – both as a proof of top quality of the scientific contents and as an opportunity for attendees to your Medical Meetings to collect their CME credit points.
The CCFPJC is a member of the NCCME https://jamaicamedicalcouncil.org/nccme/ which is approved by the Medical Council of Jamaica and is approved to collaborate or co-organize medical meetings with local and international pharmaceutical companies requiring accreditation for Medical meetings.
Applications for accreditation/certification of CME meetings can be obtained through the CCFPJC.
The Summary guidelines are outlined below.
- Contact must be made with/discussions held with the Association’s President or Nominee advising him/her of proposed meeting to:- review of the meeting agenda, rational for meeting, and outline of the presenter(s) presentation which highlights the objective of the presentation. The Outline must set out:- 1. The Rationale; 2. Aim; 3. Objective; 4. Method and Evaluation. – Presentation should be of practical relevance and benefits to the Physicians, and not overtly biased to the Pharmaceutical products.
- After discussion/review with association’s President/Nominee:
- Pharmaceutical company/body must pay Medical Council of Jamaica fee of J$5,000.00 by direct deposit to National Commercial Bank Jamaica Limited, Cross Roads Branch, J$ Savings Account #234117343.
- Pharmaceutical company must prepare and submit applications to the Secretariat in a timely manner prior to the event. A minimum timeframe of six (6) weeks is required (but flexibility may be exercised depending on the exigencies of the situation). Applications submitted one/two/three (1/2/3) day(s) prior to a proposed event, will attract an additional administrative cost.
- Pharmaceutical company must prepare meeting agenda and submit together with application, proof of payment of MCJ fee of J$5,000.00, invitation and presenter(s) bio data/CV (overseas speakers) and the meeting outline. No products or drug should be displayed on the Agenda. APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE SUBMITTED TO MCJ WITHOUT PROOF OF PAYMENT OF MCJ’S FEE OF J$5,000.00.
Invitations should display the name or logo of the Association as well as the pharmaceutical company or body requesting credits for the event or meeting.
- Invitation(s) should not have the name of any drug displayed thereon and if possible should carry the logo of the certifying Association and the Pharmaceutical company.
- It is recommended that approved agenda be printed and handed out (if physical meeting)/circulated (if webinar).
- A log of attendees with contact details and pre & post-test scores must be submitted to the Secretariat.
- CME Certificates are to be designed in conjunction with the organizing Association and should not have the name of any drug displayed thereon.
- Printing/distribution of the Certificates is the responsibility of the co-organizing pharmaceutical company.
- Certificates must not be not be issued without confirmation from the Secretariat that Credits have been confirmed by MCJ
Certificates should display the following information:
(a) Name and Logo of the Pharmaceutical Company;
(b) Name and Logo of the Certifying Association and the MCJ/NCCME;
(c) Attendees’ name.
(d) Venue and date of Meeting;
(e) Topic(s) Presented
(f) Presenter(s) name(s)
(g) CME Hours Approved by: MCJ National Council on Continuing Medical Education:
(h) CME Hours Requested by: (Name of Certifying Association)
(j) Signature of Association President or Representative
(k) No. of Hours Approved
- It is mandatory that Pre-test and post-tests are set by each Presenter and must be administered at the start and end of the meeting. Attendees must complete the pre and post-tests in order to receive certificates of attendance.
- It is recommended that an Executive of the Association or their nominee be invited to be in attendance at the meeting to either, welcome, give opening remarks, moderate or give vote of thanks, if possible. Please indicate at the time of discussion of the meeting with the association’s president/nominee how/if he/she will facilitate at the event.
- Timing of events/meetings should avoid clashes with events of Council Members on the Medical Association of Jamaica annual Calendar.
For local meeting accreditation, Administrative fee is US$150 or J$ equivalent, per day and is due on presentation of the Association’s invoice to the pharmaceutical company/other body. For Regional Accreditation, administrative fee is US$300 or J$ equivalent per day.
Advisory of Approved CME hours will be sent by email to the pharmaceutical company representative requesting the certification of the meeting.
NOTE: PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ASSOCIATION IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR PROMOTING/ADVERTISING THE MEETINGS BEING CERTIFIED FOR PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES. IF THIS SERVICE IS REQUIRED IT WILL BE AT AN ADDITIONAL COST TO THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY, AND THE REQUEST MUST BE MADE THROUGH THE ASSOCIATION’S PRESIDENT/NOMINEE